Testing

Friday, November 6, 2009

Karma :)

I haven't laughed this hard in ages, so let me share...

We went out to a restaurant last night while the children were at the grandparents' house. I happened to be off and it's not often that we get alone time so it was a nice break from Amanda having to spend time in the kitchen. And food usually tastes better when someone else has to cook and serve it to you.

The waitress brings out a basket with bread in it and a plate full of olive oil with the crumbled spices floating around for one to dip the bread in. In the process of placing the plate (while balancing bread-and-oil combos for two other tables on her other arm) she manages to spill a nice little trail of oil from the edge of the table all the way to where Amanda was sitting. No big deal, right? Except for the fact that Amanda was having a rough day and started stressing out about it.

"I haven't taken a single bite and people will think I'm a slob with this mess in front of me!"

"Honey, the other people here are eating, not judging you by the condition of your table cloth."

This went on for quite a few minutes while we waited for the appetizer to arrive. Once that came out and we consumed it the conversation went straight back to the dirty table cloth. Finally the main course arrived and the large plates covered the mess quite well so there were no more repercussions until the dishes were removed and we had to wait for desert. With the oily spots once again revealed and Amanda fussing about it again I finally told her to place one of the cloth napkins on the table between us to cover up the issue, which she promptly did. Now understand- this huge cloth napkin was jet black...

Things seemed to be under control until desert arrived. There was a mint leaf and three blueberries in the whipped cream on top of the desert. I took the mint leaf out and in the process of tossing it to the side managed to get a fleck of whipped cream on the napkin in front of Amanda. She glared at me in a severe fashion while I took my finger and cleaned up the offending spot and tried not to burst forth in laughter. Seeing me about to lose control, Amanda dips her spoon into the whipped cream and reaches over to my side and taps it in several places, leaving whipped cream spots all in front of me. She then takes her spoon and goes for a blueberry with a "Ha!" look on her face since it was now my side that looked sloppy.

As she picked out one of the blueberries, you would NOT believe what happened! The other two blueberries (covered in whipped cream, of course) jump off of the top of the desert and roll down the whipped cream and across the table to Amanda's side, leaving a nice dual trail of whipped cream all across the jet black napkin:)

I started laughing so hard I almost spewed creme brulet (a fancy name for burnt pudding) all over the table. It was karma at its best!

Ok, maybe you had to be there. But trust me, it was hilarious:)

2 comments:

  1. For the record, toots, the blueberries that attacked me didn't leave any streaks. They were very well-behaved.

    Also, in the wake of your giggle-fit, you apparently failed to notice that I decorated your side of the napkin even more copiously with the whipped cream :)

    (Yes, I'm twelve, why do you ask?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you two are adorable!!

    Our most embarrassing dining fiasco involved a really expensive French restaurant before going to the Opera....and my husband flicking some of his duck a l'orange into my HAIR.

    Oh yeah it was pretty funny. Just not at the time!

    ReplyDelete